Full cheeks, smooth skin, plump lips: Some people have them naturally, while others get a little help from their dermatologists with dermal fillers. At our London, Ontario, practice and throughout Canada, filler injections are one of the most commonly performed cosmetic treatments. But if you’re considering getting fillers for the first time, you may be a little nervous.
Knowing what to expect can help calm those nerves. In this blog post, I’ll provide some tips about what you can do, both before and after your appointment, to help ensure you have a positive experience. The most important advice to heed is to choose a highly qualified injector. It’s not difficult to find a med spa offering facial fillers and BOTOX Cosmetic® injections in London, Ontario, but you may not know the qualifications of the provider. Choosing a Royal College-certified dermatologist’s practice can provide the confidence you want when getting filler injections for the first time.
Preparing for Your Appointment
Here are some things to keep in mind before your filler injections:
- Preparation begins about 2 weeks before your appointment. You shouldn’t have any dental procedures during that time (and for 2 weeks after the injections), and it’s also important to avoid taking aspirin, ibuprofen, and all other NSAIDS for about 2 weeks before your appointment.
- Eating certain foods in the week leading up to the appointment can help minimize bruising and swelling. Spinach, kale, and celery boost your levels of Vitamin K.
- Taking arnica in the week before your appointment can also provide all-natural help to reduce bruising and swelling. Massaging arnica gel into the injection areas after treatment can also help bruises dissipate more quickly.
- Make sure you are hydrated and eat a full meal before your appointment.
- Don’t schedule any important meetings or social events after the procedure. Even though there is no real downtime following filler injections, you can expect some redness and swelling.
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions during your consultation. We expect questions and are more than happy to answer.
Another thing to keep in mind, especially if you’re worried about how the results will look: Unlike BOTOX treatments, which take several months to wear off, fillers can be dissolved easily if you want to reverse the treatment. We can inject an enzyme solution called hyaluronidase under the skin to speed up the natural breakdown of the hyaluronic acid that is in the vast majority of fillers.
We rarely have a patient who isn’t happy about the results, but it’s good to know that the treatment can be reversed. If you’re considering fillers for the first time, contact us using the online form to request a consultation or call our office at (519) 472-8686 to schedule an appointment.